Union Church of Pocantico Hills

Less than a mile from the Kykuit estate sits this unassuming little church, we would have completely bypassed but for an article listing it as one the ”surprising places to see art in the Hudson Valley”.

And even though after reading the article it was no longer a surprise, we were still awestruck the moment we set foot inside, instantly surrounded by light flowing through Marc Chagall’s nine stained-glass windows, topped by “La Rosace” (the Rose Window), Henri Matisse’s last work.

We learned that “La Rosace” was designed as one of Matisse’s colored paper “cut-outs” and was completed just a few days before the artist’s death. Matisse died before the window could be fabricated, but his daughter, Marguerite Duthuit, discovered the completed paper maquette at Matisse’s home and took charge of the commission, which she invested with great emotional significance as her father’s last creation. “La Rosace” was dedicated to the memory of Abby Aldrich Rockefeller on Mother’s Day, 1956. [source]

Photography inside the church was strictly prohibited, but you can see the windows and hear their story by taking a virtual tour inside Union Church of Pocantico Hills.

Union Church on Pocantico Hills

Tarrytown, N.Y.

July 19th, 2019

The Coach Barn at Kykuit

Once upon a time the carriage room and stables, later transformed to accommodate automobiles, now a showroom for the Rockefellers’ splendid collection of antique carriages and rare cars.

Two-seat sleigh by Thompson Brothers of Portland, Maine – ca. 1890
Chrysler Imperial Ghia Limousine, 1959
One of two Ghias purchased by Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller for use in conjunction with State activities. This one was used in Albany. One of only seven produced that year, this exceptionally rare car has opera windows on the side and a large rear window. The car used in New York City had no side windows and a smaller rear one.
Auto Red Bug Buckboard, 1924.
In their youth, the Rockefeller brothers buzzed about the Pocantico estate and into the village to visit friends in little Red Bugs of this type. This rare example was acquired by Nelson Rockefeller in 1976.
Anderson Electric, distributed by Detroit Electric, 1916.
The electric car, though limited in range, was popular because of its quiet and simple operation. The Detroit Electric Car Company originated in 1907 and continued production until 1942.
Cadillac Model 75, 1939
This rare four-door convertible sedan was originally owned by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. It was sold, and passed through several owners, before it was re-acquired in 1971 after a diligent search. It can accommodate up to 7 passengers. Only about 20 were built.
Crosley Hotshot Roadster, 1949
Several third-generation family members learned to drive at the Pocantico estate in this little automobile.
Datsun Sports 1600 Roadster, 1966
It was shown at the 1965 World’s Fair in New York City, where it caught Nelson Rockefeller’s eye, and he bought it from the exhibitor.

Kykuit, the Rockefeller Estate on Pocantico Hills.

Tarrytown, N.Y.

July 19th, 2019