Dibble’s Quarry

Welcome to Dragonstone.

An abandoned 19th century bluestone quarry that used to furnish rock for New York City’s sidewalks, turned into a site right out of Game of Thrones.

The trail starts at the parking area on Dale Lane; follow the yellow markers to connect with Pecoy Notch Trail, then take a left following the blue markers.

Dibble’s Quarry, Elka Park, NY

June 21st, 2020

The Huguenot Houses of New Paltz

”In 1677, leaders of seven prominent families from present-day France and Belgium, collectively known as the Patentees, purchased 40,000 acres of land from the Esopus Indians on the west side of the Hudson River. The contract for the sale — whose purchase price included domestic supplies, farming tools, clothing, blankets, wine, horses, tobacco, and gunpowder — was signed by five Esopus chiefs, and 21 Esopus braves approved the property deed. Governor Edmund Andros gave the settlers a patent grant for the land on September 29, 1677, about five years before William Penn negotiated his treaty with the Native Americans to found Pennsylvania.

In 1678, 12 members of the Bevier, Crispell, Deyo, DuBois, Freer, Hasbrouck, and LeFevre families — who collectively became known as the Duzine — settled the 40,000 acres. They named their settlement “die Pfalz” in honor of Pfalz-am-Rhein, the German state where they had temporarily found refuge on their way to the New World. Their village was set up like a commune: the Duzine owned some land in common, and shared their products and labor; the rest of the property was eventually divided among their descendants up until 1803. The Duzine held power over the community in various governmental forms until 1826.

Did you know?: According to the National Huguenot Society, the word Huguenot may be a combination of Flemish and German, and describes Protestants who met to study the Bible in secret; they were called Huis Genooten, meaning ‘house fellows’.” [source]

Historic Huguenot Street, New Paltz, NY

June 16th, 2020

Manitoga || The Woodland

”Over 70 years ago, Russel and Mary Wright acquired an abandoned quarry and surrounding hillside in the Lower Hudson Valley, and he slowly restored this land to a place of extraordinary beauty. Inspired by the legacy of the Wappinger people, the ancestral residents of the area, Wright called the emerging vision for these 75 acres “Manitoga” or Place of Great Spirit.”

Although the many elements of the garden are familiar—house, terraces, parking lot, trellis, and paths—nothing is conventional. Wright’s integrating vision changed all the familiar components, blending the built elements and the natural landscape together so that each was enriched, enhanced, and transformed by the other. Just as the house is interwoven with the site, the hillside is connected by views to its larger context of the Hudson River Valley, and the visitors themselves are involved in an intimate and unfolding relationship to the place.” [source]

The Russel Wright Design Center

Garrison, N.Y.

July 28th, 2019