Sitting on a cliff overlooking the Potomac River, an imposing Gothic structure – Gothic Revival to be exact, the Healy Hall was built between 1877-1879 and named after Patrick Francis Healy, the 27th president of Georgetown University.
Its first student was William B. Gaston, who was 13 years old when he arrived on campus in 1791 and went on to become a member of Congress. Gaston Hall (see penultimate photo) is named after him.
Designed by architects John Smithmeyer and Paul J. Pelz, who also contributed to the design of the Thomas Jefferson Building in the Library of Congress.
March 19th, 2019